account-logged-inaccountarrow-leftbasketbasketbasketBottle icon-1cirlce-successclosecreditSlice 1lockedlogoutmarkerSlice 1searchsuccesssuccessSlice 2truckSlice 1amexjcbmaestromastercardpaypalpaypal-iconpaypal-sm-iconpaypalvisaworldpay-colorPowered byworldpayPowered byfacebooktwitteryoutube
This website requires the use of cookies. To find out more about our use of cookies, view our privacy policy
Jump to Content

Port Ellen

First Society bottling in 1987.

The distillery in Islay's main village was founded before the Excise Act 1823 and owned by the redoubtable John Ramsay and his heirs until 1920, when it was sold to Buchanan-Dewars, with whom it joined DCL in 1925. Silent 1929-1966, and extensively refurbished the following year, it closed in 1983. A large new (drum) maltings was built adjacent in 1973 and these continue to supply all the island's distilleries, in terms of a concordat of 1987. It is rare as a single

1825
Geschlossen
Port Ellen, PA42 7AJ
Islay